ABOUT THIS CAR
Built to comply with Appendix K and actively campaigned this fantastic rally car incorporates all the options homologated at the time as well as current safety requirements. The car has always been looked after professionally.
Documents supplied with the vehicle tell us that it left the production line on 2nd August 1963 and was then shipped to Standard-Triumph Motor Co. Inc., Los Angeles in California. From 1977 to 1989
This Left hand drive car was brought back to the UK in May 1989 when Chestnut House Sports Cars were commissioned to undertake works to the car for it to be an accurate replica of one of the 1963 team cars before it went on to compete in the second Pirelli Classic Marathon. The then owner, who worked at the time for Austin Rover took competition preparation advice from a few former members of the Triumph Competitions Department with much emphasis on how the chassis should be reinforced. Several parts left over from the 1960s, such as a limited slip differential and up-rated gearbox components, were found and incorporated.
This was the first of three works replicas built by Chestnut House all of which featured aluminium wings, boots and the very rare Surrey Tops.
The car is reported to have been driven by Tony Dron to second place on the Clumber Park Rally and also by Roger Clark on Charrington’s Historic. The car was used too to win the first and only Gold Medal awarded on the first and toughest Le Jog one of the most difficult and testing events in Europe.
• FIA Historic Passport
• Period FIA Homologation papers.
• 2198cc engine with forged 87mm pistons, nitrided crankshaft, fully balanced.
• Twin 45 DCOE Weber carburettors on correct SAH period inlet manifold with Pipecross
• Lead free head. Car uses 98 RON unleaded.
• Engine previously rebuilt by RW Racing Services and giving some 160 bhp at flywheel.
• Bendix Red Top fuel pump with new Filter King filter and pressure controller.
• Re-built and calibrated distributor.
• Adjustable rev limiter.
• Competition exhaust manifold and system.• Competition engine and gearbox mountings
• Double matrix radiator.
• Kenlowe electric fan with thermostatic control.
• High output alternator.
• Up-rated starter motor.
• Competition clutch
• Up-rated overdrive on 2nd, 3rd and 4th from OD Spares with gear knob mounted switch.
• 4.3:1 final drive with Salisbury limited slip differential
• Five Minilite replica 5.5 x 15 rims fitted with Michelin Alpin Winter Tyres
• Homologated Alfin aluminium brake drums.
• Quick steering rack with aluminium mountings.
• Motolita leather bound steering wheel.
• Well-developed suspension with optimised settings and up-rated springs.
• Reconditioned up-rated rear shock absorbers.
• Nylon bushes.
• Front and rear wings, boot lid and Surrey Top in aluminium.
• Seam welded body shell.
• Plexi door and rear windows.
• Custom built wiring harness.
• Steel firewall between boot and interior welded in.
• Custom built Safety Devices four-point roll over bar with Certificate of Conformity.
• Sparco bucket seats with Luke four point belts.
• Intercom and headphones.
• Foam filled tank.
• Tubular fuel gauge sender unit.
• Lifeline extinguisher.
• FIA cutout switch and navigator’s horn button.
• Flexilight map reading light and caravan neon light for plotting.
• Brantz Retrotrip
• 130W90 headlights, two PIAA competition driving lamps and Lucas fog reversing light.